Carpets provide warm, soft floor covering in homes. Children, pets and day to day use can deposit odors and dirt on the carpet, which are difficult to remove. It does not matter if it is pet smell, trash or mildew, carpet odor can cause havoc in one’s nose. There are several ways to deodorize when cleaning your home and different carpet odors require different cleaning process to remove them. Here is s guide on how to remove odors from your carpet using simple home remedies:
Removing general carpet odors
First, determine where smell is coming from and once you find the item causing the awful smell, clean it with soapy warm water using an antibacterial detergent or cleaner. After cleaning, fill a bowl with a half-cup of white vinegar and a half cup of water and disinfect the area you have just cleaned. Once you are done, open the windows to let in fresh air.
Removing smoke odors
Smoke can be hard to remove depending on the frequency of exposure and build up. First, you should ensure that all the windows are open to let in clean air.
For general freshening:
- · Sprinkle baking soda and let it sit on the carpet overnight then vacuum the carpet in the morning.
- · Run steam cleaner that is filled with distilled white vinegar over the carpet. White vinegar is an acidic cleaner and it helps to kill bacteria as well as remove odor. In case you do not own a steam cleaner, you can rent one from the supermarket, or a hardware store.
- · If the smoke build up was heavy, you should consider heavy duty cleaning. You can hire a professional to assist you if you are not up for it.
Removing pet or urine odor
If you cannot locate where the smell is coming from, use a black light, close the curtains and turn out the lights then shine the black light over the carpet. Body fluids contain phosphorus and black lights emit ultraviolet rays that makes phosphorus to glow.
Removing the stain
- · Blot the spot with a white towel until you get as much liquid as you can. Avoid rubbing, as you will spread the stain.
- · Apply a mixture of water and vinegar and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Use clean towel to soak the liquid.
- · Now rinse the carpet with warm water. If there is any odor remaining, sprinkle baking soda, let it sit for few hours then vacuum.
Follow the above steps to get rid of odors on your carpet. You also can hire a Windsor carpet cleaning companyto take care of any odor issues.